success and failure with Wine 20031118

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Thu Nov 27 12:52:07 CST 2003

I have been running Word 97 since several versions of Wine now (fake
windows install), but I had no success with Excel 97. I could install
it, but it froze when I opened the files menu.
But now even Excel works, as far as I can say now without serious flaws
and without too much fumbling with dlloverrides for native dlls - kudos!

But an old issue seems to have returned: In Word (or Excel), I can't
enter German special characters like the notorious Umlauts. There is a
workaround: Entering
	export LANG=de_DE
before calling the applications (or using an appropriate tiny script) to
change the Redhat 9 default setting which here is LANG=de_DE.UTF-8.

Some Wine versions ago, the characters issue was solved, but now it
seems to be back?
Klaus