Wine hangs on startup

Kristian Amlie k_amlie at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 30 16:49:22 CST 2003

--- Ivan Leo Murray-Smith <puoti at inwind.it> wrote:
> You can use the native linux version of Opera

I'm sorry if I was unclear earlier. I used Opera solely for testing
purposes, I have the native one and I am using it. The problem I have
applies to a lot of windows programs, Opera was just an example. (Which
means that this could be a rather serious bug...)

I don't think I have a broken config either, I'm using the one I've
always used.

Anyway, here's the original message, if anyone wonders:

I have a problem with the newer Wine versions. Wine hangs on startup on
almost every program I try to run. One program I CAN run is notepad,
but who needs that? :-P
This problem applies to all Wine versions I have tried since the
20030408 build.
The programs I have tried is Opera and Wulfram (online multiplayer
game: see www.wulfram.com), both of which I could run with the previous
version mentioned.
gdb doesn't give very useful output. The top level frame is
start_process, followed by LdrInitializeThunk and a couple of
process_attach, and then lots of unknown "??" functions (usually
between 20 and 30, but it varies). The current frame is usually a known
function, but changes all the time, depending on when I attach to the
process, so the problem is most likely higher up in the tree.
If anyone knows how to deal with this problem, I would greatly
appreciate it! Or maybe a key-application I should try, or a way for
gdb to produce better output.
And if this mail should rather be sent to another mailing list, or to
developers perhaps, I'd like to know that too! :-)

Kristian Amlie