HELP!!!! Can't seem to run Wine under Mandrake 9.1/9.2

deedee deedee at writestop.com
Fri Oct 10 11:00:37 CDT 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 09:07 am, Files wrote:
> >Sometimes it's not a bad thing that your mswin app won't work. In
> > the case of Eudora and Sidekick, I ended up finding replacements
> > that I like much, much better. I fought that the whole way and then
> > kicked myself that I didn't change them sooner.
>
> Try as I might, there really is no replacement for PowerDesigner -
> it's modeller for UML, OOP, RDBMS etc etc etc. Not even Rational
> Rose, or even Dia (linux).

I'm not familiar with PowerDesigner, so have no suggestions for that
one. Also, I'm a relative newcomer to installing and using Linux on my
personal systems. So there's plenty I haven't tried of what I know
about, and what I don't know about is, well, a whole lot.

> As for CD Labels - I have "Sure Thing" by Microvision. I haven't
> found anything under Linux that does CD labals at that level yet.
> I've looked and looked and looked.

I also used Sure Thing under mswin. However, the labelling part I have
no problem with producing in any word processing software. I don't even
bother with templates. Remember the diameter of a circle is exactly
equal to one side of a square, and most people can insert a square
graphic on a page. When you print it out on a CD label, it'll be a
circle ;^).

I continue to use the spectacular clipart that came with Sure Thing. A
jpeg is a jpeg, whether it's on an mswin system or a Linux system.
Linux has a large number of graphical packages that can view and
manipulate a wide range of formats.

> But I still have a bunch of games that would be nice to be able to
> run. If I could only start by getting notepad up and running.

I've not tried wine with too many games, just the Solitaire and
Minesweeper that came with mswin. It ran those fine, but there are
plenty of those kinds of games on Linux.

If you're a serious gamer, you should consider Transgaming's WineX. I
like DOS games, and I use dosemu for all my DOS stuff, including games.

While I'm waiting for Wine to leave the alpha stage, I also installed
the VMWare Workstation that came with the Mandrake 9.1 PowerPack. I
don't like using it, but it does allow me to access a lot of archives
while I work on getting the software to run satisfactorily under Wine.

My goal is to be MS-free.

> I'll wait to see the stuff you said you had though. Thanks.

Hopefully, you've received the two posts by now -- "What Winecheck
Checks" parts I and II.

The only difference in my config from the defaults is I've added
"printer" = "on" at the end of the [wine] section. I've not done
anything to the path statements, but I suspect XWine is providing path
information when I run an app using it.

deedee
--
Visit "WordStar & GNU/Linux"