err:wave:IDsDriverBufferImpl_Stop ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER) failed (Invalid argument)

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Oct 15 15:54:39 CDT 2003

This pretty much says it all, if you know what it means (which I don't).

I have tried to install and run 3 games today (OK, 5, but the other two
have other problems than this) under Wine 20030813; Debian Sid .deb.

The three games:

Icewind Dale 2

DeusEx

Half-Life.

I am using a fake_windows install, although I do have a Win98 install,
from which I copied the fonts, system (without overwriting any Wine
dlls, just added the others in case it would help), and Program Files
(for the InstallShield info). I tried this using the native Windows
install, but things appear to work better with fake_windows, if this can
be called "better".

Half-Life and DeusEx installed perfectly to a native Linux partition. I
could not get Icewind Dale 2's InstallShield to run, but I can run the
version that I previously installed under Windows while in Linux.

All of the games start and run (though they're starting in a 640*480--I
think-- window in the upper left corner, probably I have to set them to
unmanaged windows, but I haven't done so yet). The error above appears
in the terminal as soon as the game (doesn't matter which one, they all
act the same) begins to run and repeats pretty much every second
thereafter, but sound does not appear affected for the first minute
(literally) of play. After the first minute (to maybe 3 minutes), sound
will "catch" and whatever sound was being played at that moment will
loop endlessly, which is really annoying, distracting, and troublesome,
since two of these games use sound cues, and all of them have nice music.

The game can be returned to the main menu by normal use of the "ESC"
key, and can be exited normally, but the sound continues until I close
the terminal window. I must qualify the statement that "the game runs"
in the case of Half-Life, because I cannot see the intro movie (the
screen appears hung at some grey texture map), but the voiceover is
trying to run (with a lot of pausing and skipping), and my impression is
that the game is running properly, except for some conflict between the
sound and visuals, especially since it responds promptly to the ESC key.

My specs:

Video: Matrox G400 using kernel drivers
Audio: VIA 8233 onboard sound using Via 686a/8233/8235 audio driver
1.9.1-ac2,
via82cxxx and ac97_codec (according to dmesg)

Wine is set to use wineoss.drv, I use GNOME 2.4 but esd is not running
(I had the same problem under GNOME 2.2 with or without esd), and I have
not changed any of the DLL settings. To the best of my knowledge, the DX
version I copied from the native Program Files folder is DX7, which is
fine for DeusEx and Half-Life, not sure about IWD2.

Any help appreciated, any more information needed, just ask.

TIA,
Holly Bostick