wine user-friendliness

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at myrealbox.com
Wed Oct 22 17:32:49 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 21 October 2003 14.29, olorin5 at gazeta.pl wrote:
> [...]

That should work. At least it works for me with:
$ wine start xyz.doc

The only reason the above would not work is that your current dir is not on a
configured wine drive.
What does the
$ winepath -- -l xyz.pdf
prints.

What I do have problems with is to make 'wine start' work with absolute unix
path names.
$ wine start /home/zsolt/munkau.doc
says that it does not understand option '/home/zsolt/munkau.doc'. That happens
because start expects its options to start with '/' so it considers my full
path as an option. I dont know what is the solution to this.

As a workaround I used the next command:
$ wine start `winepath -- -l /home/zsolt/munkau.doc`
Which does works, but can not be entered into KDE file associations (because
it can not execute the `` construct).

So I have solved the issue by writing a simple script called 'winestart' with
the next contents:
#!/bin/bash
document=`winepath -- -l $1`
exec wine start.exe -- "$document"

After that putting 'winestart %F' into the KDE association does the trick.

So it work for me now :)
Does somebody know a simpler solution?
Or should a more sophisticated version of winestart be automatically installed
by wine? (The only difference to 'wine start' would be that it would expect
options starting with '-' and not '/' to make it unix compatible)

Regards
Zsolt