Sending SETI units from SETI Driver

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sun Sep 28 16:24:42 CDT 2003

Holly Bostick wrote:
> Hey all.
>
> OK, SETI Driver works fine under Wine, crunches units beautifully even
> while the native Linux client is also running.
>
> But it won't send  any units-- I had to turn auto transmit off, and it
> won't send even if I try manually (though the program continues to run
> fine). I tried adding a proxy server, but that didn't seem to help--
> though I'm not sure, as I don't get a console output showing me the
> progress of the transmit, even if I check "Display Transmit" in SETI
> Driver (thus it doesn't magically open wineconsole or something :-( ).

I went ahead and installed the Windows version of SETI (even though I
normally run the Linux version), and tried it with the current CVS
version of Wine. It sent my units just fine; at least it claims to have,
and downloaded a new data set, all automatically.

> I assume that the problem is that Wine doesn't know how to find my LAN
> Internet connection, but I don't know how to tell it what to do.

Wine should automatically use your correct LAN connection. There is no
configuration to do, and you should not be using a proxy setting unless
you really do have a proxy server.

> Can anyone help? If you think it's annoying having to boot into Windows
> solely to play a game, imagine how annoying it is to have to boot into
> Windows solely to spend 30 seconds uploading SETI units for your
> boyfriend.... ;-)

Well, I don't really understand why you would want to do that, since you
already have the Linux version of SETI. But I guess maybe mention what
version of Wine you are using, and if not very recent, perhaps try
upgrading.