Skype on Wine - works for a few seconds then mic stops working

Ian Clarke ian at locut.us
Tue Apr 6 08:27:08 CDT 2004

Hi, I recently installed the RPM of Wine 20040309 on Fedora Core 1
running Linux 2.6.4 and downloaded the current version of Skype (0.97).

The installation went well, and I found I could run Skype pretty easily
with the default settings, although some of the GUI elements, such as
the menus, did not work.

I was able to make a call to a friend, and it worked for a few seconds,
until my mic stopped working.  I tried again and the same thing
happened.  Basically it would work for somewhere between 2 and 30
seconds and then the other person could no-longer hear me.

Wine was using the default configuration to use OSS, even though I use
ALSA.  OSS seemed to be the only audio driver that worked, with the alsa
or arts drivers Skype couldn't find a recording device.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or found a solution?  If I could
fix this problem then Skype would be quite usable under Wine.

Kind regards,

Ian.

--
Coordinator, the Freenet Project