Trouble with Skype

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Wed Apr 14 02:32:33 CDT 2004

Hesham Wahba wrote:

> Hi,
>   I've managed to get Skype running under Debian with the latest Debian
> release of wine.  The sound is perfect, and there are no connection
> problems, but I noticed the following:
> 1) Sound from my microphone disappears ONLY when I start some other
> application or switch to another application.  I can only vouch for this
> in KDE, and it happens whenever anything accesses the soundcard, so xmms,
> Mozilla Firefox (plugins), gaim, etc... are all out.  Oddly enough even
> starting konsole stopped the transmision of sound from my microphone as
> well.

Under linux the sound device can only be used by one program. But KDE for
example uses aRts to multiplex audiostreams into one sound device. Wine per
default uses OSS, which is a way to directly access the sound card.

Solution, change ~/.wine/config so it uses aRts instead of OSS (use search
in your editor to find it).

> <snip>

Other people have tried getting Skype to work before.

AppDB entry, contains a link to a spanish(..) howto:
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1592

You could submit a bug report here, this might speed up getting it to work
correctly:
http://bugs.winehq.org/

Also search the Wine user/devel mailinglist archives.

Hope this helps,

        Henk Poley <><