Browse boxes to change install directory halt Wine

Eamon Caddigan ecaddiga at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 17 22:47:04 CDT 2004

motub at planet.nl <motub at planet.nl> wrote:

> When I click the "Browse" button *2 child windows open, one on top of
> the other.*
>
> The one that I could see was the usual (but in this case, blank) browse
> tree, and the other is a Save dialog. I can in fact browse through this
> Save dialog. Since there is nothing to "save", however, it doesn't
> actually solve the problem as a whole, given that I cannot select "Save"
> to choose the directory I'm aiming at (not a big surprise, it doesn't
> usually work in Windows either when such a thing happens).
>
> However, the reason that I couldn't close the setup was because there
> was an open dialog that I didn't know was there. If I close the save
> dialog, I can then cancel out of setup normally.
>
> I did change shell32.dll and shell.dll to native; Setup wouldn't even
> start with shell32 as native, but would with only shell.dll as native.
> Seemed to be unchanged insofar as Setup was already running fine, and
> probably would have completed without problems if I would just stop
> being stubborn and install to the default directory :-).
>
> So is this phantom Save dialog worthy of a bug report, or is there
> something else I should try? I didn't take a log from this last attempt,
> but that's easy enough if it's needed.

I'm having the same problem installing Photoshop 5.0 with wine 20040408.
Unfortunately, I can't simply use the default directory (.\Adobe\Photoshop
5.0), because the installer complains about there not being enough space.
I'm not sure which directory ".\" corresponds to, but there's plenty of
space in all the directories I'm using for Wine. I even attempted copying
the contents of the install CD to my hard drive, but that didn't help. Debug
messages weren't any help.

Sorry for the obnoxious post, but I just figured that it would be worth
mentioning that a different version of Wine has the exact same problem with
an entirely different app.

-Eamon