Recommended partition type...NTFS or VFAT?

Dan Devine dannyboy259 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 01:29:50 CDT 2004

Hi,

I've used wine previously under "no windows" type install on my Linux
box.  I've had some success, and have seen some recommendations for
running wine with access to the the Windows partition to make install
and whatnot easier.

I'm interested now in putting a dual-boot machine at my office, the
candidate hardware already has Win2000 with NTFS installed.  There's
lots of cool stuff that I'd really like to run under wine, so if I could
save it with a simple re-partition, that would be great!

Is there a preference for NTFS or VFAT on the Windows partition with
respect to ease of use under wine?  Are both equally easy and/or work as
well?

I have not seen this yet on winehq or codeweavers...(hint: "HOWTO:
create a dual-boot system with Windows and Linux/Wine that lets you keep
all your old Win applications but lets you stay in Linux for as much as
possible").

What's best for the Windows install...NTFS or VFAT?

DD