Calling Linux OpenOffice from a Windows App Under Wine

Adam Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Fri Apr 23 14:48:52 CDT 2004

I'm running iManage Desksuite under WINE, which is working quite well.
iManage is a common document management system used in law offices (among
other places).

What I'd like to do is associate DOC files in iManage with my Linux
version of OpenOffice.  There is a 'less tightly integrated' mode for
iManage whereby documents, when checked out, are saved to a temporary
directory and then it calls the external program to open them.

I've told iManage to open z:\usr\bin\openoffice (I never thought I'd see
a z:\usr\bin!) and it does call openoffice properly.  The problem is that
it passes it a Windows path to open the file--i.e.,
c:\Windows\NRTEcho\etc.., which, of course, openoffice doesn't understand
at all.

Is there an easy way to have *linux* programs that are executed from a
Windows program running under WINE get the proper path to the real file
in the linux filesystem?  I suppose I could have a wrapper for every
linux app I want to call from a windows app in WINE that translates the
path, but I'm wondering if there is a more sensible way to do this.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org