new to wine

Tien Lee tl47 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 23 19:51:40 CDT 2004

Not sure why you added this new email. Perhaps to have replies copied to all
the email addresses?

The answer to your questions are:
Yes, yes and yes. :)

Wine can be run from the console, and can run text-based windows/dos programs
(at least most simple ones, and most simple utilities). You can set it up
using a GUI. Depending on which "distribution" of WINE you have... e.g. I
installed a .rpm version, which already has "winesetup". You can run
"winesetup" on a console and set up wine. After that, you can just click on
any ".exe" file in your favourite KDE/GNOME file browser to launch WINE to
run it.

Not sure about specific games, but yes, wine can run quite a number of simple
windows-based programmes, including educational ones (e.g. those included at
the back of a textbook), but I suspect that many kids' games might be more
demanding. You can always just install wine and give it a try!

I got my wine at:
http://www003.portalis.it/115/

Note that there is also winex there, but this is not exactly the same winex
from Transgaming (transgaming has securom and other stuff that isn't in their
CVS'd winex). Also, the winesetuptk (the GUI) included with wine is not the
latest. The latest has some predefined programmes you can choose to install
(e.g. MS Office, Photoshop, etc.).

Tien.