A meta-question

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Mon Apr 26 02:34:27 CDT 2004

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 01:19:22 +0200, you wrote:

> hi,
>
> I tried to install an application, but in vain. Feeding some
> unique-looking error numbers into google, I got many hits that were all
> somehow related but not quite to the point -- that's why I try not to
> mention these here until I can hope to come up with a good, to-the-point
> question...
>
> For now, how do I tell which part of the wine output is significant, and
> how much of it can I adress by tuning DLLs etc?
> Is there some documentation that might be useful that I failed to see?
> Besides the source, as Perl or C or Sanskrit are all the same to me.

Wine currently released as "developers only". Do not be surprised that
some of these messages may only meaningful to the persons that wrote
this code.
In general: if you do not understand it, report it literally.

> Currently, I see only a few different sorts of messages. Which is which?
> (beside the source, ofc; Perl or C or Sanskrit are all the same to me)
>
> fixme:<something>

Some part of implementation of a function is missing or known to be not
100% correct. This may be totally insignificant (the program does not
depend on the missing features) or severe (the missing feature is
crucial).
It is best to report these. Sometimes they repeat hundreds of times, it
is enough to mention repeat many times.

> err:ole:RPCRT4_OpenConnection protseq mswmsg not supported

err's are more severe and a more likely to indicate a failure. Report
them.

> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting debugger...

Your program has crashed, the following messages are from wine's
built-in debugger.

> No debug information in ELF<something>
>
> No debug information in 32bit DLL<something>

Nobody seems really interested in these AFAIK.

> ...and, finally,
>
> Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00000000 in 32-bit
> code (0x4067ed44).
> In 32-bit mode.
> 0x4067ed44 (_end+0x100758): sldt        0x0(%eax)

This is important to report.

> Wine-dbg>

Enter 'bt' here and report the resulting back trace. With a bit of luck
it tells exactly how the program crashes, most crucial information.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl