State of wine (was Re: web pages not shown with Internet Explorer 6 IE6 on RedHat 9)

Joachim von Thadden j.thadden at t-online.de
Tue Apr 27 15:38:48 CDT 2004

Am Die, Apr 27, 2004 at 12:43:05 -0400 schrieb marthter:
> As it is, the majority of all the help that is out there consists of
> "make these 50 changes, it worked for me" and when you try it and it
> doesn't work, you can't even tell if the new error is happening earlier
> or later than the old error that you were trying to get rid of.

I am not as pessimistiv as you. It took me not too long to run IE6,
Office 2k with Access and Outlook, Notes and a couple of other Apps with
wine. Yes, you have to be careful with bleading edge development
versions. If you get hints from others and take 20031212 than just stay
with it until you know there is another as stable version around. And
yes, it's not an out of the box software: You have to learn about
certain interna. But there are good sites as Frank's Corner and others
giving you enough information to play around with.

Believe me, I did never use a self compiled version and for the above
mentioned apps I did not load any DLLs from nowhere. The only thing that
I followed were these hints:

- use wine-20031212
- use a blank .wine
- install IE6 first as mentioned with the method 3 on Frank's Corner
- leave the DllOverrides Section that is mentioned there for all other
  installs and
- continue then with Office 2k

I used this install on three different machines with absolut
calculatable results and the IE6 is working like a charm. I also made a
howto which I did not publish until now. Yes, give me the weekend and I
will post the URL.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"