Morrowind Problem

Fabrice DELENTE fabrice.delente at free.fr
Wed Apr 28 08:20:55 CDT 2004

Hello.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 02:53:59AM -0400, miguel wrote:

> ---the keyboard related fixme  .....
> fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetIdeInterface CD-ROM device with major ID 11 not supported
> fixme:keyboard:X11DRV_KEYBOARD_DetectLayout Your keyboard layout was not found!
> Using closest match instead (Portuguese keyboard layout) for scancode mapping.
> Please define your layout in windows/x11drv/keyboard.c and submit them
> to us for inclusion into future Wine releases.
> See the Wine User Guide, chapter "Keyboard" for more information.

I used to have this kind of message (don't know if it still happens, I
haven't checked) but it didn't seem to acuse any harm so I've never paid
much attention.

> --some sound problem that i dont know
> fixme:dsound:DirectSoundCreate8 Check wcaps
>
> -- what is this ?? the SO given pid to he app right?
> mmtime pid=1790 tid=1790

pid must be 'Process id', and tid 'Thread id'. Maybe some benchmarking thing
? I think it's just information, not ht esign of any trouble.

> --and more problems with the sound
> fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403b6ce0,00010021,2):stub
> fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel (0x403b6ce0,00010021,2):stub

stubs are - if I understood correctly - ways of going around a problem;
maybe because the whole implementing of sound isn't done yet. You can have
programs reporting stubs but still working ok.

> --then it goes to full screen flickers for a while and shuts down

The screen flickering indicates changes of resolution.

> -- can morrowind be run under opengl??

In wine, I never had any success; with winex, no trouble. I think that
Morrowind REQUIRES OpenGL, anyway.

> fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice8_ResourceManagerDiscardBytes (0x403af714)->(524288): stub
> fixme:ddraw:Direct3DDevice8_ResourceManagerDiscardBytes (0x403af714)->(524288): stub
> fixme:dialog:MSGBOX_OnInit system modal msgbox ! Not modal yet.

Modal message boxes are boxes in which you *must* click before being able to
do anything else (even interacting with another program that the one that
spawned the box); it's very bad UI programming behavior ;^) Good thing that
there are no such things in X.

> err:ddraw:Direct3DDevice8_CreateContext exclusive owner already set
> wine: Unhandled exception, starting debugger...
> err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --debugmsg -all 134698440 120") (2)
> Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
>
> --whats the meaning of this final message ?

wine would like to spawn the debugger (so that you can look at the machine
code to find why it doesn't work... if you can read machine code fluently
:^)

To make the debugger avalaible, I added these lines in system.ref (this file
should be in ~/.wine/config)

[Software\\Microsoft\\Windows NT\\CurrentVersion\\AeDebug] 1071915687
"Auto"="1"
"Debugger"="winedbg --debugmsg -all %ld %ld"

> --i get it also with working games like Warcraft so i dont think this is
>the cause of the game not to work
> fixme:xrender:X11DRV_XRender_Finalize Free cached glyphsets

Don't know this one.

> I think the problem of the errors come directly from bad configured wine
> and not from misconfigured system settings because i run UT2k4 perfectly
> wich is runs natively (a great ideia isnt it game developers/publishers?? )
> and so is independent from wine ...

If only we could have native games... but they are expensive to develop, and
the market share is still small under Linux.

Anyway, if you can run native OpenGl programs, but not can't with wine,
remeber that wine is still alpha software (i.e. not finalized, even though
it already makes an awesome jog). Some things are not yet implemented.

> Any tips will be apreciated ....

Hope this helps. I can also send you the config files that I use under winex
to make Morrowind run.

> Thanks in advance from the time spent ....

You're welcome.
See you.

--
Fabrice DELENTE