[Wine]problem with delphi bde app

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 11 11:48:20 CDT 2004

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:45:58 +0200, you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to run some old delphi application, which uses BDE to connect
> to an access mdb file.
>
> The application displays an error, that it couldn't open the database.
>
> I can run BDEADMIN and I see that database aliases are configured propoerly.
>
> I did some winedebugg'ing and noticed following mesassages

> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle (nil)
> warn:x11drv:SWP_DoOwnedPopups (0x20034) hInsertAfter = (nil)
> fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance just using first face for now
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle 0xbb8
> warn:x11drv:SWP_DoOwnedPopups (0x10026) hInsertAfter = (nil)
> fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance just using first face for now
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle 0xbc0
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 729121c8
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 7291c208
> warn:file:wine_nt_to_unix_file_name L"JET1b1b.tmp" not found in
> /home/jleszews/.wine/dosdevices/x:
> warn:ntdll:NtCreateFile L"\\??\\X:\\JET1b1b.tmp" not found (c0000034)
> warn:file:CreateFileW Unable to create file L"X:\\JET1b1b.tmp" (status
> c0000034)
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 72efa6b0
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 72eda398
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 72f0f708
> warn:x11drv:SWP_DoOwnedPopups (0x10026) hInsertAfter = (nil)
> fixme:font:WineEngCreateFontInstance just using first face for now
> warn:gdi:GDI_GetObjPtr Invalid handle 0xbc8
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 72ee7698
> warn:heap:HEAP_ValidateInUseArena Heap 72e90000: invalid in-use arena
> magic for 72efb6b8
> warn:x11drv:SWP_DoOwnedPopups (0x10022) hInsertAfter = (nil)
>

> It seems, like WINE cannot create a file called JET1b1b.tmp on it's X:
> drive (which points to /home/jleszews/.wine/tmp)
> But it seems to me that it is creating this file !

The "warn" message does not contain all parameters for the CreateFile,
but I guess it is just trying to test for the existence of the file ...

> I did : "watch ls -la" in this /tmp directory and this file appeared
> there. It disappeared when my application finished.

... and creates it when it was satisfied not to overwrite an existing
file.

> Any help is appreciated.
> I can provide more information if it's needed.

The warn messages by themselves are not that useful.

A first try at debugging this would go like this:

-1 run wine with WINEDEBUG=+relay wine ... &> wine.log
-2 kill the process when the error box appears.
-3 open wine.log (BIG!) in your favorite editor and search for the error
text that you saw  in the error box.
-4 look upward from that line in the file for calls that failed or
otherwise look suspicious. Those may be the cause of the error.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl