[Wine]Nasty segfault problem...

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Fri Aug 13 21:09:21 CDT 2004

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 05:04:29PM +0200, Paolo wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:14:16AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Paolo wrote:
> >
> > > Warning: the specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not accessible.
> > > Warning: the specified System directory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is not accessible.
> >
> > paolo,
> >
> >   The same version gave these same warnings to me after I futzed with the
> > winecfg. I completely removed and reinstalled the application and this
> > problem went away. Considering what it is doing, I'm not terribly surprised.
> > I now know to leave all the drives wine finds and letters.
>
> aha - I used to let winesetup 'edit' the config, then commit; I supposed it
> would straighten things up to what installed wine requires. This doesn't seem
> the case, so tryed 'overwrite' to everything and got a clean config - well
> at least now I get just:
>
> wine --version
> Wine 20040716
> Wine exited with a successful status
>
> and a couple of custom winapps seem to run fine again.
> But 'look&feel' shows only 3 choices now: W3.1, W95, W98 - why?

W3.1, W95 and W98 are the only stable ones - the rest are vastly
incomplete, I think.  It's true too -- you can manually edit this line
(if you're careful) in the config file, and you can use all of them -
but in winxp mode, I found that the TCP/IP stack doesn't seem to work -
but it works 100% fine in W98 mode.

> I run into troubles with an app that complains that the ODBC installer
> (ODBCCP32.DLL) isn't there ... but this might be the topic of a next posting,
> once I managed to check things better (this app never worked though, due
> to lack of SQLsomething).
>
> Also, trying to install a labelling prg, I get:
>
> fixme:ole:LoadTypeLibEx Wanted to load L"stdole32.tlb" as typelib, but file was not found
>
> and install exits. Seems it wants DCOM95: tried but got (roughly)
> 	'dcom95 is for W95, you have W98'

Windows 95 had different dcom versions - dcom98 is better, because w98
is still supported by MS... for a few more months, at least.

> fine then, tried DCOM98, but got
> 	'a newer version of DCOM is installed...'

Because dcom dlls are being reported as builtin by default.  Use
WINEDLLOVERRIDES="dcom=n" or similar, and dcom98 installs fine.  That
way, the default (dcom=b,n) works -- the builtin might have a higher
version number, but it isn't technically supporting of all the stuff
that native dlls provide.  WINE is development software for a reason...

Most sites telling you how to install IE 6 on wine tell you about dcom98
and this.

> well, nevermind, that was just for trying, but to install/use DCOM I'd need
> a W9x license, and I don't have it here, as I'm on a fully fake Windoz.
> So I won't install/use that prg.

If you have a licence for W98, it's 100% legal, even if you overwrote
the Windows partition, so long as it's on the same pc, because you do
have the licence.  Many, many apps won't work if the DCOM is imperfect,
or will be buggy - but if you are willing to live with it, what the
heck.  On the other hand, running the builtin DCOM would help wine
developers somewhat, I think, if you report the status of DCOM.