[Wine]Jump Start Games (3rd Grade) Almost working

Art Edwards edwardsa at icantbelieveimdoingthis.com
Sun Aug 22 22:39:06 CDT 2004

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com wrote:

>  On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 01:20:24PM -0600, Art Edwards wrote:
>

>>I'm running the most recent Debian unstable wine package on a purely
>>Debian box (2.6.6 kernel with alsa, a VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio
>>Controller). I have the Jump Start games installed and nearly running.
>>That is, the initial window comes up (where you decide whether to play,
>>or evaluate, etc.) In this window sound works perfectly. However, inside
>>the game, there is no sound. The video seems to work perfectly well. If
>>

>Are you sure that your sound is set up correctly?  Are you sure it's
>compatable with wine's implementation of DirectSound?  And have you any
>debug logs, or have you contacted wine-devel?  Try looking for
>information on logging in programs on wine; it involves using the
>command line (i.e. xterm) to run wine.

I have now been able to look at some errors. It appears that there is a
problem with mci. I put a post out asking about this that I'll quote here:

"fixme:mci:MCI_LoadMciDriver Couldn't load driver for type MUSIC.
If you don't have a windows installation accessible from Wine,
you perhaps forgot to create a [mci] section in system.ini

OK,
1. Where is system.ini?
2. What do I put there? "

I have tried playing with the config file. It was not happy when I
switched to the alsa driver. Also, I have cludged together a fake
system.ini that did not help. I noticed that there are several
mci*.drv's that are absent in fake_windows, yet present in a w98
installation. Are these works in progress?

>BTW, Are these games known to work on any prior setups (i.e. older
>kernels or older wines)?  And can you give us an exact dated version,
>since debian and wine just released new packages?  You can run "dpkg -l
>| grep 'wine'" (or use "dpkg -l | less" or "dpkg -l | more" and hand
>search for wine) and look for your installed version of wine, it's
>usually a date like 20040813 followed by some things.

No, I have not had success previously with these games. Here is the
information on
the deb packages. As you can see even unstable is now one month behind
winehq.

theory/home/edwardsa>dpkg -l | grep wine
ii  libwine        0.0.20040716-1 Windows Emulator (Library)
ii  wine           0.0.20040716-1 Windows Emulator (Binary Emulator)
ii  wine-doc       0.0.20040615-1 Windows Emulator (Documentation)
ii  winesetuptk    0.7-1          Windows Emulator (Configuration and
Setup To

>You can also consider going to www.winehq.com and installing from
>source, or manaully building a custom deb from source... look on google
>for how to do the latter.
>

>>anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
>>
>>Art Edwards

>Hope I helped.
>-Michael Chang

Art Edwards