[Wine]wine reg clean up questions ??

michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com michael at cherryblossom.homelinux.com
Mon Aug 23 21:08:05 CDT 2004

On Sun, Aug 22, 2004 at 02:39:02PM -0700, Dan Sawyer wrote:
> All,
>
> The error message below appears on Wine start up. The .wine/config
> directory does not have a file L defined. Where does it, "L", come from?

Someone said somewhere that L is not a typo (or anything else) -- it's
supposedly some sort of Unicode marker.  *shrugs*

> What is the cause of these errors? This configuration is Wine using a
> native position. Are these errors a result of the native registry or the
> wine registry? I have booted the native partition and run RegClean; it
> is happy with the native registry.

Probably native, or both.  Maybe wine just doesn't like your particular
W98 user.dat -- did M$ decide to change the format of user.dat between
W95/W98?

As for regclean, have you tried rebuilding the registry?  I believe that
you (using windows regedit) export the entire registry to a .reg file,
then in DOS mode, use regedit to create the registry from that reg file.
I dunno if it works, but in lots of Windows' Tips and Tricks magazines,
that's how they clean the registry.

You do have the correct permissions on this partition, right?  Linux has
problems with FAT not having owners or true permssions -- if it's
mounted with fstab, it becomes owned by root on my system, which might
be annoying.  Dunno though.

> This is a win98 system. Where did the win95 registry reference come
> from? Is this significant?

Possibly.  Could be an incomplete extension.  In your config, are you
emulating W98 mode, or W95 mode?