[Wine]batch file fails, individual programs in it run

Joel Uckelman uckelman at nomic.net
Tue Aug 24 19:31:08 CDT 2004

I posted to the list a day or two ago about a problem that I thought was
related to a new kernel

(http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2004/08/0178.html)

As it turns out, I've discovered that I *can* run programs in Wine as
a non-privileged user; what fails for me is calling those same programs
from a batch file.

To summarize what I've found:

Suppose that 'foo.exe' is the complete text of foo.bat, and make it
world-readable.

'wine foo.exe' works both for root and for others.
'wine start.exe foo.bat' works for root but fails for others.

The errors look like this:

fixme:exec:ShellExecuteExW32 flags ignored: 0x00000500
fixme:exec:SHELL_ExecuteW Strange error set by CreateProcess: 203
fixme:exec:SHELL_ExecuteW Strange error set by CreateProcess: 203
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specifi
ed file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: Environment variable not found

Additionally, 'wine start.exe' with no arguments works fine for all users---it
prints the help for start.exe. So there's no problem running start.exe; it's
the ShellExecuteEx call in it that's failing.

This worked (for me, at least) in 20040505, and hasn't in any release since.