[Wine]Wine and industrial communication like OPC

Rein Klazes rklazes at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 25 04:26:46 CDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 01:41:13 -0500, you wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have some questions about Wine and how/if it can be used with industrial communication like OPC (MicroSoft Com/DCom objects, DDE and more)
>
> My short question is:
> Can I use Wine to make OPC communication work with a Linux system.
>
> OPC "OLE for Process Control"
> A "general" standard for communication in industrial systems, that unfortunately is totally depending on Windows
>

> I work on a small company in Sweden who make industrial computers for the industry, and when we a few years ago had to choose operating system for our new model I got them to choose Linux. And almost everything is perfect, we have had a working product for almost a year now, and everything is good.
> But now our company needs to support OPC, this is a big problem that makes a lot of people in the company start saying things like WinCE or Win XP embedded.
>
> I am more in need to make/use same kind of OPC api for Linux then running a windows program.
> Although I could have a Win program running in Wine on the Linux machine talking with the main app on the same computer and talking OPC to other machines that need that.
>
> I hope Wine and/or you can help me in this case. It would be a tragedy if we had to switch operating system just because of this.

Yes, that would be tragic.

I remember that OPC heavily uses DCOM. I do not think that wine's
implementation is sufficiently advanced and compatible to have much
hope. Yet the experts are on the developer list, you will get a better
answer there.

Then, did you really look very well for a native Linux solution? After
looking only 20 seconds on www.opcfoundation.org (those that created OPC
specs in the first place) I see already client and server Toolkits for
Unix/Linux.

Rein.
--
Rein Klazes