[Wine]Upgrading builtin comctl32.dll ?

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Sat Dec 4 12:17:15 CST 2004

Dripple wrote:
> Hi,
>
> any knows how to have native comctl32.dll version upgraded ?
>
> Shurely needs a patch, but I'm not that competent.

Take a look in the source at include/commctrl.h. Very close to the top is:
#define COMCTL32_VERSION                5  /* dll version */

I guess you can try changing that to 6, which appears to be available
for WinXP at least.

> Is there any reason to keep it as an old version ?

If commctrl 6 has features or behaviors which are not yet implemented in
Wine, that applications which try to use those features might break. If
the application thinks only an older version of comctl32 is available,
then it might not try to use the new features. This assumes a correctly
written application ;)