[Wine]i need serious help

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Dec 9 09:42:44 CST 2004

Implied Paradox wrote:

>I have absolutely no idea how to use linux and I am
>trying to install WINE.
>
>I am running Linspire 4.5 and I actually want to
>install winesetuptk (this is what it tells me to do
>when i try to run a program with WINE).  I downloaded
>the tar.bz2 file from sourceforge and have no idea
>what to do from there.  When you guys say, type ~/blah
>blah I do not know what that means, type it where?  I
>need step by step instructions on what to do.
>
>At first I unpackaged it and ran the winesetup.sh file
>and it asked me to "Just Configure" or setup kde.  I
>clicked setup kde, it closed the window nothing
>happened, and now when I try running the winesetup.sh,
>it says "No such file or directory".  I already tried
>deleteing the fiels and re-unpackage them, nothing
>works.
>
>Please help me.
>
>-- Jared
>
>(The main reason I am doing this is when I installed
>Linspire, it hid my partition that boots winxp, so i
>cannot boot winxp and I have no idea what to do)

I would back up a couple of steps and try to learn the basics of linux
first before installing anything. (your dual-boot problem is another
issue). Fortunately, there are many helpful places on the web. A few:

Linux Online has lessons for beginners:
http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html
LinuxQuestions: http://www.linuxquestions.org/
their wiki: http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Main_Page
Linux Doc Project:: http://tldp.org/
Linux How-Tos: http://howtos.linux.com/howtos/HOWTO-INDEX/categories.shtml
linspire has a support section. I don't use it, so I don't know how
helpful it is: http://support.linspire.com/

I don't know any good beginning linux books. You might check out:
http://www.oreilly.com/

brad