[Wine]replacing builtin library files with native dlls

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Sat Dec 11 09:17:02 CST 2004

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 9. Dezember 2004 22:55 schrieb nvariance-m1 at yahoo.ca:
> Hi,
>
> I want to replace some of the builtin libraries of
> Wine with native ones to improve performance in some
> games.  The wine documentation refers to a
> '~/.wine/config' that doesn't exist.  From what I've

if you built from source there should be a default config file in:
src/wine-20041201/documentation/samples/config
just copy it to your .wine dir.

> gathered from this mailing list, I should simply move
> the native dlls I want into the fake c drive
> (.wine/drive_c/windows) and Wine will use them
> instead.  Is this right or am I missing anything?

as long as you don't have a config file and set up using of native dlls there
(or pass it at the command line), wine won't use your native dlls as far as I
know.

> Also, would there be a problem with, for instance,
> importing most/all of the DirectX 8/9 dlls?  Would it
> be a seamless integration or is it unadvisable?

DirectX is a low level API, i.e. requires direct harware access (correct me if
I'm wrong), therefore this is probably no good idea.

> Lastly, would doing the above breach any of MS's End
> User License Agreements (I have a license for Win98)?

My understanding is, that if you use your dlls only on one machine, it's ok.