[Wine]Re: From a newbie: how to run MS Word?

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Mon Dec 27 20:04:41 CST 2004

Joachim von Thadden wrote:
> We testet it with SuSE 9.1, 9.2 , RH9, FC1 and FC2. It worked for every
> distribution if you use wine-200409xx oder wine-200410xx. But also with
> other versions it should start the installation whereas we can not
> guarantee success.

The point I was making was that even following the expected procedure,
you could still have problems.  I pointed taht out to show that someone
may not have been "ignoring" the instructions as you were implying.

Given that, even though my own configuration is not what you've tested
under (I am running FC3, with Wine 20041201), it still works fine with a
couple of extra steps.  documentation-wise, you may want to suggest
users un-mount the CD before they start the winetool (if they encounter
such a probem on their own setup).  Other than that, the only other apps
I've found problems with are ones you aren't testing anyway (such as
eBay's TurboLister).  Many of these may *never* run under Wine, as
they're too reliant on undocumented windows "features".