TCP/IP under GNU/Linux

Sam Halliday fommil at yahoo.ie
Sun Feb 15 11:55:27 CST 2004

Rein Klazes wrote:
> Sam Halliday wrote:
> > i have gotten Grand Theft Auto (which is available free for download
> > at http://www.rockstargames.com/classics/gta.htm) working well under
> > wine. there seems to be a "network play" option which should
> > automatically detect TCP/IP availability. unfortunately the game
> > thinks i am on a standalone machine when in fact i am on a DHCP
> > served LAN.
> >
> > this makes me think either wine does not yet support the networking
> > mode for this game, in which case asking for advise is a lost cause,
> > or that i have not enabled TCP/IP. preferring the latter situation,
> > i searched the docs on how to enable TCP/IP networking under wine,
> > but am no wiser.
> >
> > could anyone please advise me on how to set up TCP/IP? i do not have
> > a windows partition, and all my networking is running fine for my
> > "Debian GNU/Linux testing/unstable/experimental" system.
>
> Hmmm, DHCP can sometimes be a problem to setup correctly with
> applications running on wine. Can we have the output of your
> application with --debugmsg +winsock please?

it doesn't say anything extra with that flag, here is the output anyway:

wine --debugmsg +winsock gta.exe
disabling TCL support
Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
         NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel level=DSSCL_PRIORITY
not fully supported
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x4039be88)->(00010021,00000011)
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP
from 16 to 8
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Need to update SYSMETRICS
after resizing display (now 640x480)
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP
from 16 to 8
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Need to update SYSMETRICS
after resizing display (now 640x480)
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_DDHAL_CreatePalette stub
fixme:ddraw:DIB_DirectDrawSurface_Blt dwFlags DDBLT_WAIT and/or
DDBLT_ASYNC: can't handle right now.
err:dsound:DirectSoundCreate8 dsound already opened
fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundImpl_SetCooperativeLevel level=DSSCL_PRIORITY
not fully supported
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x4039be88)->(00010021,00000011)
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Need to update SYSMETRICS
after resizing display (now 640x480)
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Need to update SYSMETRICS
after resizing display (now 640x480)
fixme:ddraw:DIB_DirectDrawSurface_Blt dwFlags DDBLT_WAIT and/or
DDBLT_ASYNC: can't handle right now.
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=26692
< primary_done=26700)
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=26308
< primary_done=26312)
fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection (mixlen=24864
< primary_done=24872)
fixme:ddraw:Main_DirectDraw_SetCooperativeLevel
(0x4039be88)->(00010021,00000008)
fixme:xvidmode:X11DRV_XF86VM_SetCurrentMode Need to update SYSMETRICS
after resizing display (now 1280x1024)
fixme:winmm:MMDRV_Exit Closing while ll-driver open
Wine exited with a successful status

cheers,
Sam
--