anyone anyone?

Philippe Anctil z77y16 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:50:15 CST 2004

I am nowhere near a wine expert, but here's what I would offer as an answer.

Wine has the ability to pick "builtin" libraries or "native" libraries. You
can specify what library it should look for in the .wine/config file.

The goal of wine is to eventually provide enough "builtin" libraries and
functionnality to emulate a full windows installation. Builtin libraries are
wrote by the wine team. You can find them here on redhat9. In other words,
this is where wine will look for "builtin" libraries:
/usr/lib/wine/wine/ntdll.dll.so
etc

There are times the "builtin" implementation is not sufficient. In that case
you can copy the real windows dll in your fake windows drive and instruct
wine to load the dll "native". Wine looks for "native" libraries in
c:\Windows\System first, then looks for it in a few other places. The
documentation tells precisely what are the paths processed and in what
order.

To know what libraries are loaded and what type (builtin/native), try the
following args when running an app:
--debugmsg +loaddll

Except for a few exceptions listed in the default wine config, the default
rule is to use bulitin libraries.