Old wines

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Wed Jan 14 10:54:55 CST 2004

saravanan wrote:
> Yes, You are right Mr.Clark . When i put the the native msvcrt.dll from
> windows to /usr/share/wine-c/windows/system directory, wine calls the
> application very quickly and also executes the program well. But..
>  It hangs at the main operation of the program.
>
> WINE produces the following error messages.
> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 000a), starting debugger...
> WineDbg starting on pid 8
> No debug information in ELF 'wine' ((nil))
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\ocr\ocr.exe' (0x400000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NTDLL.DLL' (0x400a0000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL'
> (0x40320000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRT.DLL'
> (0x78000000)
> No debug information in 32bit DLL 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSVCRTD.DLL'
> (0x40550000)
> Unhandled exception: page fault on write access to 0x00004128 in 32-bit code
> (0x7800b9d4).
> In 32-bit mode.
> 0x7800b9d4 (MSVCRT.DLL._set_sbh_threshold+0x26b in MSVCRT.DLL): movl
> %ecx,0x8(%esi)
> Wine-dbg>

Normally at this point you would type "bt" to get more info on where it
crashes. You also might want to provide your config file.

In general, your config file should be using the default configuration
for DLLs:
[DllOverrides]
"msi"       = "native, builtin"
"msvcrt"       = "native, builtin"
"mciavi.drv"   = "native, builtin"
"mcianim.drv"  = "native, builtin"
"*" = "builtin, native"

>  I tried many options. I copied the  msvcrt.dll.so from the old WINE to
> latest WINE. Eventhough it works well,
> it fails to open the wordpad application. Ie., Notepad & Wordpad is not
> working. Please kindly guide me.

Yea, I would not be surprised if there were compatibility problems
trying to do that.