Font question

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sat Jan 17 16:10:29 CST 2004

And thar's the rub!

The newer office applications have at long last gone over to Unicode. Dagesh,
the first and for clearness and ease of use, still the better of the
multilingual WPs never made that step because the parent company died of fear
of big-bill-gates :-(. I worked on the filters.

Used to be, one exported to RTF and this came into most Word versions
perfectly. No more--the Dagesh RTF filters were good--I wrote them. But
Microsoft more or less says: Its our language and you'll use it our way. It
was a never ending chase of one's tail to keep up with their nonsense. Dagesh
RTF will no longer go into word or open office or any of them. For the same
reason as the non-latin fonts will not work  through wine. The newer apps are
Unicode.

If the winemakers can come up with an interface to solve this problem, please
do it so that it can be used/packaged under Windows as a simple filter as
well. Will make a lot of folks happy! For now, HTML export is the only bridge
to Word et al.

Dagesh is being maintained by Galtech--contact Gadi Doron at
gadid at galtech.co.il about evaluations copies for such purposes. I have not
heard about open-sourcing but as one of the developers, I'd go for it--and I
am most probably available (more particulars under private cover).