How to configure USB scanners/devices

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Jan 22 10:03:28 CST 2004

Hi all,

I know this question came up several times already. I understand that wine is not dealing
with or loading drivers and that one needs the USB device to be supported by Linux. Let us
assume an USB scanner that is supported by Linux, so there is a Linux driver for it. Now
my question is: how do I configure wine to detect it and make it available under windows?
E.g. parallel devices go under Lpt1,..., serial ports are mapped to Com1,..., etc. But
what entries do I need in my config file to make the scanner (or any other USB device)
available? Are there any further steps of configuration on the windows side? Is there a
suitable config tool around?

Thanks for any reply,

Nick.