Installing Explorer: Which Windows version does Wine emulate?

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Tue Jun 1 02:04:17 CDT 2004

Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

>>> I'm trying to download IE6 full, and the installer ask for a specific
>>> Windows version.
>>

>>    I just failed horribly at all of the same things so take my input
>> with a grain of salt. In the Wine config file there is an option that
>> is commented out that says which version you want to emulate. I would
>> guess that you should make that option and the one you download match.
>

> Uhm... the only option I find is just for controlling the look & feel.

In my ~/.wine/config, there is a section like this:

[Version]
; Windows version to imitate
(win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win2k3,wi
n20,win30,win31)
"Windows" = "win98"
; DOS version to imitate
;"DOS" = "6.22"

In your config file, the line
"Windows" = "win98"
is probably commented out (it has a semicolon in front)
Remove the semicolon and select the windows version to simulate/emulate;
(I usually choose win98 there)

HTH,

Joris