installing (Wine) via 'sudo'

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Jun 18 12:43:26 CDT 2004

Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> I am familiar with 'sudo' in some small degree, but still I miss one
> important thing.
>
> How can we configure it to run "make install" as a 'root' safely?  AFAIK
> there is the only way to do it - by writing another script that wraps
> "make install" ands by placing onto the fixed path.  This would let write
> all the command name with the fixed path right into the 'sudoers' file.
>
> I have seen lots of cases on the web where installation is to be made just
> by configuring the things to run plain "sudo make install".  But isn't
> that just a very insecure solution?  For example, I may create another
> Makefile in my home directory and just may run "su -" command at the
> "install" branch.
>
> Am I missing some crucial information about configuring sudo?

I am not sure what you would gain by running "make install" with sudo.
If it worked, that would effectively allow you to install any program
anywhere, which gives you complete control of the machine. So that
defeats the purpose of sudo, of allowing a non root user to run certain
privledged programs, without otherwise compromising security. So it
seems to me that if the root user allows sudo make install, then they
might as well just give you the root password.