using wine from a cgi

Fabian Cenedese Cenedese at indel.ch
Tue Mar 2 01:15:35 CST 2004

>        I have apache on redhat linux & the latest version of wine.  I'd like to make a perl cgi script that uses a windows program to do some processing for a web page.  The script does what it is supposed to do (wine starts & the windows program runs AOK)  when run from the command line as root, but when it runs under user apache from a www request, I don't think wine even starts.  I have a feeling that it is because user apache does not have a home directory for wine to put its .wine directory - but I don't know how to fix that.
>        Has anyone succeeded in getting a perl script called by a cgi request to apache to run a windows program under wine?  If so, how?  Does anyone know that it is impossible?

You can try installing wine as the user with which it will run later. As wine
simulates a Windows environment it needs a registry (with some default keys)
and a configuration where the "Windows drives" are configured. This will
be done in the installation but only for the current user. So you need smthing
like sudo apache ./tools/wineinstall or so.

bye  Fabi