ie6 and outlook

Joachim von Thadden j.thadden at t-online.de
Wed Mar 3 14:49:43 CST 2004

Hi,

I made a Howto for installing IE6, MS Office 2000 and some other apps
with wine-20031212 (all never versions have certain drawbacks).
Everything works fine and I will soon publish this Howto on my site. In
comparison to Crossover there are only two drawbacks with my
installation:

1. When IE6 tries to open a new window it is blank. That means also if
links want to open themselves in a new window this does not work.
Everything else works like a charm.

2. With Outlook 2000 I can not connect to an Exchange server. I get
immediately the message that the servers name can't be resolved. For
sure it is resolvable, both by nameserver and /etc/hosts. On the
console it says:

fixme:winsock:convert_sockopt Unknown IPPROTO_TCP optname 0x8
err:winsock:WS_setsockopt Invalid level (6) or optname (8)

This only happens if this server is available. If I give a resolvable
but non reachable server name in the connection dialog of outlook, I
also get the console output but Outlook seems to try for a long time to
get a connection and then gives up with the same error message as above.

It would be very nice if someone could give me hints to these two
remaining problems so that my Howto can be finalized and published for
all those wanting to use wine instead of Crossover Office.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"