Myst (win 3.11) and 256 pallete display

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Mar 8 10:42:15 CST 2004

Shachar Shemesh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to install Myst on wine (CVS head). Installation goes, more
> or less, fine (winedbg pops up during end, but it completes
> successfully). When I try to run it, however, I get a complaint that it
> requires a 256 pallete display. Do I really need to downgrade my display
> to 8 bit?

I had not tried Myst in awhile. It used to work ok for me (I have a
version that claims to be for Win3.11 and Win95, 256 colors), but
testing just now, the colors are severely messed up. It does generate
messages about:
fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from
32 to 8
I am pretty sure I never saw those messages when the colors on Myst were
working.

I don't think I do anything special, though I have this in my
~/.wine/config:

[AppDefaults\\myst.exe\\x11drv]
"Managed" = "N"
"Desktop" = "640x480"