Myst (win 3.11) and 256 pallete display

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Mon Mar 8 13:30:48 CST 2004

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 12:12, Ryan Underwood wrote:

>>>I had not tried Myst in awhile. It used to work ok for me (I have a
>>>version that claims to be for Win3.11 and Win95, 256 colors), but
>>>testing just now, the colors are severely messed up. It does generate
>>>messages about:
>>>fixme:x11drv:X11DRV_desktop_SetCurrentMode Cannot change screen BPP from
>>>32 to 8
>>>I am pretty sure I never saw those messages when the colors on Myst were
>>>working.
>>
>>Do you have any Screen sections with Display sub-sections that have a
>>"Depth 8"?  If not, that may be the problem.
>

> Would *all* of X have to be running in 8 bpp mode?  Sounds like it,
> but I don't know if there's a way to get around it.

Let me clarify a bit. This appears to me to be a regression in Wine. It
worked maybe 3 months or so ago (as a wild guess) with my current
hardware, and I have not upgraded my X version or anything else related,
except Wine (famous last words).

But it does not address the original problem, because for me Myst does
run. It is just that the colors are now messed up. Since it worked not
too long ago, that means X does not have to be in 8 bpp mode.

For me, xdpinfo does indicate support for 8 bit color:
screen #0:
   dimensions:    1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
   root window id:    0x46
   depth of root window:    24 planes