Myst (win 3.11) and 256 pallete display

Ryan Underwood nemesis-lists at icequake.net
Mon Mar 8 15:52:05 CST 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:30:48AM -0800, Duane Clark wrote:

> >>Do you have any Screen sections with Display sub-sections that have a
> >>"Depth 8"?  If not, that may be the problem.
> >

> >Would *all* of X have to be running in 8 bpp mode?  Sounds like it,
> >but I don't know if there's a way to get around it.
> >

> Let me clarify a bit. This appears to me to be a regression in Wine. It
> worked maybe 3 months or so ago (as a wild guess) with my current
> hardware, and I have not upgraded my X version or anything else related,
> except Wine (famous last words).

Okay, was just making a wild guess.  Sometimes the distro's config
manager can get smart and rewrite things behind your back though.

> But it does not address the original problem, because for me Myst does
> run. It is just that the colors are now messed up. Since it worked not
> too long ago, that means X does not have to be in 8 bpp mode.
>
> For me, xdpinfo does indicate support for 8 bit color:
> screen #0:
>   dimensions:    1600x1200 pixels (542x406 millimeters)
>   resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
>   depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
>   root window id:    0x46
>   depth of root window:    24 planes

I don't have any 8-bit displays but xdpyinfo also reports those depths
for me.  I'm not sure what to make of that.  But it definitely is not a
good test to see if you have an 8-bit mode available it seems.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis at icequake.net>