Printing simply DOES NOT WORK; print dialog just stays open

Joachim von Thadden j.thadden at t-online.de
Sat Mar 20 07:06:48 CST 2004

Am Sam, Mär 20, 2004 at 06:41:28 -0500 schrieb JLB:
> On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Joachim von Thadden wrote:
>
> > Am Sam, Mär 20, 2004 at 04:40:10 -0500 schrieb JLB:
> > > Nopers, and it FREAKS OUT when I go into Printer Setup and select a page
> > > orientation (e.g. Portrait)
> >
> > Hmmm, seems that you first have to learn how to configure printing? Look
> > in the Documentation section on winehq for that. If you use Cups
> > everything is done for you otherwise add something like this to your
> > config:
> >
> > [ppd]
> > "XXX" = "/usr/share/doc/wine-20031212/samples/generic.ppd"
> >

> I most certainly do not use CUPS. CUPS stinks. Easy to use, my foot. Even
> Apple's distribution of CUPS is hideously unuseable, overly
> "complexified" (to quote the Xchagger from Star Control 3), and
> like pulling teeth in all ways imagineable.

Interesting opinion as almost all actual distributions unse CUPS. There
are many things you can not do with lpd style printing and it is much
more complex to configure if you want to do complex filtering or complex
control of your printer per printjob or if you want to control your
printer on one central place and not through every application by
itself. But I certainly do not want to start a discussion about CUPS on
this list! If you love your printing system you can use it as described
in the documentation. As you can see, as I posted the example from my
config, I don't use CUPS by myself (but more through the fact that I
have a very old system upgraded and upgraded for years with a very nice
configuration for my printers which I am too lazy to change to another
printing system;-).

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"