failed to create the process heap

Tyler Daniel tyler-wine at sushi-k.com
Wed Mar 24 08:36:59 CST 2004

Hey everybody, I hope I'm just missing something obvious, but wine dies
with this error on startup:

wine: failed to create the process heap

I'm using a fedora core 1 system with a 2.6 kernel, wine was installed
with the fc1 rpm "wine-20040213-1fc1winehq."  The only hint google was
able to give was a posting that claimed this error should happen on every
2.6 kernel because of the "pax" patches, which I gather is the 2.6
exec-shield feature.  I can't for the life of me find any kernel option to
try turning it off though.

Any solutions/suggestions/sympathy would be very welcome. :)

tyler