Developer's path to Windows/*NIX multi-platform?

forum at users.pc9.org forum at users.pc9.org
Sat Mar 27 17:14:22 CST 2004

> > ... I wish to write software that will still run on MS
> > Windows while also running almost-natively on Linux, BSD, Solaris and
> > hopefully even Mac OS. I don't mind compiling individually for each
> > platform (i.e. I don't expect one binary to run on all). But it would
> > be nice to share the same source so I don't have platform-specific
> > forks.
>
> You might want to investigate wxWidgets (formerly wxWindows) -
> www.wxwidgets.org - which seems to be used by a variety of major
> applications including AVG Antivirus and Forte Agent.

Thanks Stephen and Alfredo... wxWidgets is looking very interesting indeed!
I had not heard of it before and I will begin investigating it. Very
impressive that it achieves the look of the native GUIs for the target
platform, including Mac OS X which I have always wanted to support.

It certainly serves a different purpose from Wine, but maybe what I was
looking for was not so much Wine.

forum at users.pc9.org