DesignCAD 3D Max, only in root

phrostie pfrostie at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 07:30:55 CST 2004

no need to trash and burn it just yet.
what i would try first is to change the owner of the tree.
easy route is to run as root:

an alternate(paranoid) method is to create a user named wine(what i use for a
windows admin) and make that the owner(neither you or root) of the windows
installation.  the acctual problem is probably that at startup it is trying to
create/edit a temp file somewhere in the applications path.  run a chmod on the
app's directory only so that if it need to create a new temp file it can.  had
this problem with one of the Intellicad versions.  if that does not work then
it is [probably trying to edit an existing file.  make sure that the universe
can read all the files and subdirectories.

--- Sean <thepritchardz at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> The installs created subdirectories in of regular user.
>
> Where I think the mess up was, is in the installation of other Windbloze
> files.  I didn't take notes, but I remember having to go SU from a
> terminal to get a file to install.
>
> Maybe I should just uninstalland and delete then only work from user
> (although I vaguely remember reading instructions somewhere that
> mentioned I should be root to make the install I don't need this program
> to work system wide anyway.)
>
> regardz,
> Sean
>

> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 19:40, phrostie wrote:
> > if you can only run it as root the first thing i would check is the
> > owner/rights of the path directories.
> >
> > are you installing it into a subdirectory of a regular user or is this
> going
> > into /var/lib/wine or some other form of shared direcotry?
> >

> > On Sun March 28 2004 06:15 pm, Sean wrote:
> > > greetingz,
> > >
> > > As I am new to wine (but not Linux), my first Windbloze application I
> > > decided to configure (and it will be the only app until there's a port)
> > > is DesignCAD 3D Max (by IMSI/Upperspace).
> > >
> > > I have been able to get it to work as root only.  Pull Down menus are a
> > > bit slow, but all in all I have yet to have any problems with it.
> > >
> > > Is there a work around the "root-only" situation I am running into?
> > >
> > > Regardz,
> > >
> > > Sean

=====
phrostie
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of DOS
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/cad-linux-dev
http://www.freelists.org/webpage/snafuu