IE6 problem with Java and ActiveX

Joachim von Thadden j.thadden at t-online.de
Wed May 5 12:57:27 CDT 2004

Am Mit, Mai 05, 2004 at 11:32:45 -0500 schrieb Gabriel Henao:
> I'm trying to install IE6 and Java, I tried to install microsoft virtual
> machine and it doesn't install, I've also tried to install Sun Java, but it
> doesn't install, and ActiveX controls doesn't work. Please, HELP ME!

Simple answer: Java does not realy work in wine. But if you want to use a java
application you should definitely use your linux-box.

The old version of Java 1.2 from M$ works somehow. Google for
"msjavx86.exe" and execute it with wine after you temporarily changed in
your .wine/config:

[Version]
"Windows" = "nt40"

Follow the installer but say no if it wants to install "XML Parser for
Java" because this installer will fail. Do a wineboot and try with IE6 a
site with java like http://www.netives.com. It will work. But if you
reset your [Version] entry in the .wine/config and try it again the IE6
will crash. So, every time you have to use Java you have to change your
[Version] entry.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"