Warcraft 3 Copy Protection (regression?)

Saulius Krasuckas saulius2 at ar.fi.lt
Sun May 16 15:55:03 CDT 2004

Aneurin Price wrote:

> They're not directories because they're symlinks to the devices, but
> obviously the game cannot find the cd if the drive has been ignored.
> Similarly, if I mount the cd and point the symlink to the mount point,
> the game doesn't have access to the device to do its copy protection
> routine.

> I presume a similar thing is happening with 20040505, since after
> checking (by just running an app and looking in the open file dialogue)
> I've discovered that the contents of the cd aren't being read, so it
> must need the device symlink to point to the mount point. How then would
> one also provide it with the device as could previously be done using a
> "Drive" entry in the config file?

man wine says:

       $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices
              Directory containing the DOS device mappings. Each file in  that
              directory  is  a  symlink to the Unix device file implementing a
              given device. For instance, if  COM1  is  mapped  to  /dev/ttyS0
              you’d  have a symlink of the form $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/com1 ‐>
              /dev/ttyS0.

              DOS drives are also specified with  symlinks;  for  instance  if
              drive  D:  corresponds to the CDROM mounted at /mnt/cdrom, you’d
              have a symlink $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/d: ‐> /mnt/cdrom. The Unix
              device  corresponding  to  a DOS drive can be specified the same
              way, except with ’::’ instead of ’:’. So previous  exam‐
              ple,  if  the  CDROM device is mounted from /dev/hdc, the corre‐
              sponding  symlink   would   be   $WINEPREFIX/dosdevices/d::   ‐>
              /dev/hdc.

HTH