Troubleshooting Poor Performance with Streets & Trips 2004

Adam Kessel adam at rosi-kessel.org
Sun May 16 16:03:25 CDT 2004

I've recently installed MS Streets & Trips 2004 under WINE.  The
installation went smoothly and the program launches properly.

The problem is that it's too slow to use on a P3/700Mhz with 384M RAM.
The maps draw quickly, but then it takes several seconds with each
refresh to fill in the place/street names.

In the console I see:

fixme:bitblt:X11DRV_BitBlt potential optimization - client-side DIB copy

Dozens of times.

Also:

fixme:heap:RtlCompactHeap stub
err:clipboard:X11DRV_CLIPBOARD_UpdateCache Failed to cache clipboard data owned by another process.

I have a set of native DLLs available; is there a chance that
substituting native DLLs would improve performance to the point where the
program would be useable?  Is there any way to figure out which DLLs are
responsible for the slow performance?

I'd like to figure this out--any suggestions would be appreciated.
--
Adam Kessel
http://adam.rosi-kessel.org