Why isn't everyone compiling wine

Joris Huizer jorishuizer at planet.nl
Sat May 22 04:30:58 CDT 2004

Hello everyone,

I find myself repeating to a lot of people, the advice to *compile*
wine. In my opinion, at least as long as wine is alpha software, it
really should be configured the best way for *your* system;

It seems wine by rpm packages or other binary installs break far more
often than wine being custom compiled - appart from the limited support
wine gives, you add problems by non-optimal configuration.
I'm not someone who says you should compile everything - I'm not running
gentoo - but wine isn't a stable product yet and I think you should grip
every stability there where you could get it - shouldn't the winehq site
*recommend* custom compiling? It's all automated so everyone should be
able to do this...

just wondering...

Joris