Why isn't everyone compiling wine

eternal eternal at antelecom.net
Sat May 22 15:53:49 CDT 2004

well...  here's my 2 cents...  for starters, and background info, this
is on a dual p3-850 w/ half a gig of ECC sdram, running
freeBSD4.9release.  i battled with wine and trying to get it to complete
`make' without error for 5 months.  it was only after giving up on the
wants for windows compatibility that i accidentally came across
"portupgrade".  i immediately cvsup'd my entire ports tree, and then ran
`portupgrade -NRvf wine' (new install, work on all dependancies,
verbose, force).  it was only after portupgrade had upgraded easily a
third of the ports i had installed and then built wine according to the
port, that i have ever gotten wine installed.  i have since tested
`pkg_deinstall wine-20040505', followed by trying to install it from
source.  i STILL can't use ./tools/wineinstall, it says not found, and i
can ls -la that dir, and see it there, even open it in vi.  so i move on
to `./configure && make depend', which always runs fine...  when those
are done, i run `make', and towerds the end, it complains that it can't
find a certain file (advapi32_test.exe.so, if i recall correctly...), so
i read up a few lines in the output, and see that in the previous step,
it copied about 10 files, starting with the one i named above out to a
different dir, and ran `strip' on the files...  it didnt drop the .so in
the name, and therefore couldn't find advapi32_test.exe...  i cd to the
dir that they were cp'd to, and remove the final extentions myself, and
re-run `make', and it completes this time.  `make install' fails after
that, but i don't recall the error right now...  i ended up using
portupgrade to put the wine port back on after that.

	so, now for what the wine port does once installed...
---------------------------------
> wine DCOM98.EXE
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:module:load_builtin_dll loaded .so for L"setupx.dll" but got
L"setupapi.dll" instead - probably 16-bit dll
----------------------------
so, i find this script "install-dcom98.sh" off franksworld...  after
removing the parans from the functions, it runs (don't aske me why...).
here's the output (snipped from after it downloads it's own dcom98.exe
file)
------------------------------------
15:59:16 (75.35 KB/s) - `/tmp/dcom98.exe' saved [1229056/1229056]

fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do
we have to do here ?
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\dcom98.inf"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\dcomcnfg.hlp"
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x240, 0705, 0000, 00000000,
20370e34) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x240, 070f, 0000, 00000000,
20370e34) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x240, 0710, 0000, 00000000,
20370e34) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x240, 070b, 0000, 00000000,
20370e34) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0x240, 070c, 0000, 00000000,
20370e34) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:ole:RPCRT4_DllRegisterServer (): stub

DCOM98 installation is ready
-----------------------------------
now, from what i've read, it's suggested to try to install ie6...  which
is below: (custom - full install)
---------------------------------
> wine ie6setup.exe
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW Animated icons not
correctly implemented! 0x20ef0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon entry found!
0x20ef0000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon size ok.
offset=0x20ef0074
fixme:setupapi:SETUPX_CreateStandardLDDs LDID_SRCPATH: what exactly do
we have to do here ?
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xb240, 0705, 0000, 00000000,
203fb29c) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xb240, 070f, 0000, 00000000,
203fb29c) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xb240, 0710, 0000, 00000000,
203fb29c) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xb240, 070b, 0000, 00000000,
203fb29c) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:vcpUICallbackProc16 (0xb240, 070c, 0000, 00000000,
203fb29c) - semi-stub
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:dc:GetLayout (0x758): stub
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:urlmon:URLMonikerImpl_BindToStorage
(0x20410e10)->(0x20410ee0,0x0,{0000000c-0000-0000-c000-000000000046},0x20410d40): stub
fixme:wininet:FindFirstUrlCacheEntryA
("Z:\\usr\\home\\vertigo\\winstalls\\ie6setup.exe", 0x2040fa98,
0x2069eed8): stub
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW Animated icons not
correctly implemented! 0x20f50000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon entry found!
0x20f50000
fixme:cursor:CURSORICON_SimulateLoadingFromResourceW icon size ok.
offset=0x20f50074
winewine in free(): in free(): warning:  warning: recursive call
recursive call
---------------------------------
it freezes...  i try resuming, and it downloads the .exe, and starts
running it...  and errors about someting along the lines on me having to
close running applications...  below is the console output from this:
-----------------------------------
fixme:wininet:URLCacheContainer_OpenIndex need to create cache index
file
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
{00021401-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}, hres is 0x80040154
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190a40): Memory leak.
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA copy error 5
"C:\\windows\\msdownld.tmp\\AS01836B.tmp\\w95inf16.dll" ->
"C:\\windows\\system\\w95inf16.dll"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA copy error 5
"C:\\windows\\msdownld.tmp\\AS01836B.tmp\\w95inf32.dll" ->
"C:\\windows\\system\\w95inf32.dll"
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190a80): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190ac0): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190b00): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190b40): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190b80): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190bc0): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190c00): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190c40): Memory leak.
fixme:cabinet:process_files (basecab == ^0x10190c80): Memory leak.
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\autokill.inf"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\autokill.exe"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\ie4olrdr.map"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\advpack.dll"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\Bindlist.txt"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\Softboot.txt"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\Bindlist.log"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\Softboot.log"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\ierunonce.log"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\ierunonce.err"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\system\\npstub.dll"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\egg.gif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\dskwmark.gif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\tck.gif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\wmark.gif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\userexbg.gif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\userexp.htm"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\compon.htm"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\windows\\Web\\desktop.htx"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 3
"C:\\PROG~FBU\\setup\\ie4.inf"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\PROG~FBU\\ie40.cif"
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\PROG~FBU\\ie4.txt"
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
err:setupapi:SetupDefaultQueueCallbackA delete error 2
"C:\\windows\\inf\\ie5dom.inf"
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:thunk:_loadthunk (commctrl.dll, Cctl1632_ThunkData16, comctl32.dll):
Unable to load 'commctrl.dll', error 2
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for
L"C:\\windows\\msdownld.tmp\\AS018582.tmp\\acmsetup.exe" failed, status
c0000142
fixme:crypt:CryptRegisterDefaultOIDFunction
(1,CertDllVerifyRevocation,0,L"mscrlrev.dll") stub!
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_REGSRCPATH
fixme:setupapi:GenInstall16 unsupported flag: GENINSTALL_DO_CFGAUTO
---------------------------------------

in summary:  i think more of a focus should be put into making wine
functional, and once it can do something, the focus should migrate to
install issues...  i am so jaded by wasting all this time to fnnally
succeed in getting it installed, and IT WON'T WORK.  im willing to
settle for mozilla, evolution, and gaim for my web needs, i just wish
that i could get photoshop or coreldraw on it, but how can i when i'm
always having to clean out wine after it gets hung up on installing
something... (i didnt even want to get into the issues of installing
directx here, but apparently it cant find a required directory...
c:\windows\system\directx exists...  so i have no idead what it's really
moaning about...)