Why isn't everyone compiling wine

JLB jlb at twu.net
Sat May 22 17:20:07 CDT 2004

Only even apt isn't perfect. It all depends upon the quality of the
package tree, which is maintained by humans (at least partially) and thus
fallible. I've seen many situations where Application X wanted Library Q
version A installed, but Application Y wanted Library Q version B
installed, and the system wouldn't let me install both A and B. I've also
seen many situations where Application R wanted Library L, which simply
was not available at all in the system.

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Joris Huizer wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 00:03:42 +0200
> From: Joris Huizer <jorishuizer at planet.nl>
> To: Matt Bailey <mattb at rtccom.net>
> Cc: wine-users at winehq.com
> Subject: Re: Why isn't everyone compiling wine
>
> Matt Bailey wrote:
> > I don't think the dependency issue is the main thing keeping Linux from
> > mainstream, but I heartily agree it's a real issue. I really like Linux
> > (especially since getting Slackware) but chasing dependencies is the
> > single most annoying thing about it. Sometimes after finding and
> > installing a few packages then realizing I've run into a depedency trail
> > that seemingly has no end, I just give up in frustration. What's really
> > bad is when you have to think for a minute to remember what software you
> > were trying to install in the first place........
> >
> > 	-Matt Bailey
>
> If you have dependency problems move to debians packaging system called
> apt-get; apt-get has been designed to cover all dependencies (I heard
> there are rpm versions of apt-get available - somewhere out there)

Jessica L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net
Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.