Unix directories (was Re: Why isn't everyone compiling wine)

JLB jlb at twu.net
Mon May 24 11:43:57 CDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:

> Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 16:57:16 +0200
> From: Kevin F. Quinn <ml at kevquinn.com>
> To: wine-users at winehq.org
> Subject: Unix directories (was Re: Why isn't everyone compiling wine)
>
> JLB <jlb at twu.net> wrote:
>
>  > I'll be a bit less polite and a bit more to the point.
>  >
>  > If Unix systems didn't insist upon scattering files all the hell over
>  > /etc, /usr/local/bin, /usr/local/lib, /usr/local/include,
>  > /var/share/mybunghole, /opt/local/stupidlib, etc. etc...
>
> Anyone interested in _why_ un*x systems use this structure, take a look
> at the FHS (Filesystem Hierarchy Standard) project at
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/
>
> A lot of it has to do with managing networks of machines in a
> professional environment, which is why it seems pointless to a single
> workstation installation for a home user.  However it does help to
> understand that there are reasons, even if they're not particularly
> relevant to a home desktop.

Oh, horse-hokum. I've managed networks of machines for some of the largest
Web sites on the planet, and the filesystem hierarchy on those (Solaris
and Linux) servers was just as irrelevent there as it is on a desktop.

The old Macintosh "System" had the best filesystem layout:

:System Folder
:System Folder:Fonts
:System Folder:Extensions
:System Folder:Control Panels
:Applications
:Applications:AppFoo
:Applications:AppBar
:Applications:AppBaz
:Desktop Folder

> That's also not to say that packagers get it right, of course...
>
> Kev.

Jessica L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net
Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.