[Wine]Quicken fonts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 10:30:22 CST 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 10:18:44 -0600, Marc Williams <marcw at onlymooo.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

> > WINEDEBUG=warn+font wine quicken
> >
> > or
> >
> > WINEDEBUG=err+font wine quicken

Well, I think you're right, although that would only get one line
second line.

> Actually, I believe that appropriately grepping my saved 53MB file would
> accomplish the same thing, yes?  If so, here is the output, which
> conveniently combines "warn" and "err" (again, sorry about any poor
> wrapping):
>
> [marcw at fred marcw]$ grep -i err q20*
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts/fonts.scale" err = 2
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts/fonts.cache-1" err = 2
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts/fonts.dir" err = 2
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts-style/fonts.scale" err = 2
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts-style/fonts.cache-1" err = 2
> warn:font:AddFontFileToList Unable to load font file
> "/usr/share/fonts/msfonts-style/fonts.dir" err = 2

Humm....I would have thought the first 6 might be clues. (What do I
know?!?!) It appears to me that Wine is looking for msfonts-style
stuff and cannot find it. I'd guess that Wine substitues something and
that maybe that substitution is what's causing the problem? This is
where deleting your 53MB file and running again might produce very
little info, but very targeted info. If this problem happens on one
page, then possibly it happens on other, smaller pages. you could move
from page to page and catch it happening and see the messages in the
terminal.

BTW - Have you read the Wine Users manual about setting up font
servers, etc.? This could be part of the problem. I run Quicken under
Crossover Office and I think they did much of this for me. I'm having
some font problems with other programs under Wine and was trying to
understand if this font server stuff was a requirement, a suggestion,
or just info...

Again, I know not of what I speak... ;-)

> err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x100ac] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
> err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x10026] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
> err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x10024] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
> err:dc:DCE_FreeWindowDCE [0x10024] GetDC() without ReleaseDC()!
>
> I'm pretty sure that I can safely ignore the first 6 items.  But the
> last 4 lines have me stumped.  I have no idea what I'm looking at or
> even if they are related to my original problem.

No clue either.

> And thanks again for your responses.  You may be an "uber-beginner" but
> I'm an uber moron, at least when it comes to Wine.

Blind leading the blind...

- Mark