[Wine]Quicken fonts

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 13:17:42 CST 2004

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 11:04:59 -0800, Duane Clark <dclark at akamail.com> wrote:
> Marc Williams wrote:
> >
> > What you're saying surprises me because I got that information right out
> > of the online wine manual in the referenced URL.  But even if you're
> > right, it doesn't seem to make a difference either way because things
> > look the same both before and after using those .FON fonts.
> >

> The documentation is, unfortunately, frequently out of date. The font
> rendering in particular has changed several times over the years, but
> not the documentation.
>

> >>The current version of Wine has a few built in replacements for fonts,
> >>and perhaps these are too small (it seems like there have been several
> >>complaints lately). But if external TrueType fonts are found, Wine
> >>should use those.
> >>

> > It seems as if wine (and Quicken) are already using the TT fonts that
> > are being served up by my font server.  At least that's the impression I
> > got from the debug output I ran earlier.  And the screen fonts all look
> > identical to their real Windows counterparts *except* for those that I
> > circled.
>
> In general, if there are any TTF fonts in your Wine c:/windows/fonts
> directory, then Wine will render those fonts directly (using Freetype)
> rather that use the X font server. That assumes you have reasonably
> recent FreeType rendering. This is actually the best way to go; it tends
> to produce better results.

So does it make sense to do some inventory between a 'working' windows
box (I the user has one) and the Linux environment, and then copy over
any fonts that might be missing?

I uess I Was hoping that some work under WINEDEBUG would tell me (or
Marc in this case) which onts might be getting resized..

> That said, I wonder if perhaps this is a more subtle problem. For
> example, here is an attachment from Quicken 2002 Deluxe. It would appear
> to me that "Update" is using the very same font as "Options". And even
> on your screen shot, the same font family appears to be used for
> "Options" and "Update/Send". It appears only the point size is different.
>
> I wonder whether there is a fixed amount of space on the button, and if
> the width of the string is to long with the normal font point sizing,
> than it might chose a smaller point size. I wonder if other buttons,
> with shorter strings, are rendered with a larger font?

Interesting idea...